Kristyn believes that feelings of connection, within a fun environment, are at the heart of successful pediatric physiotherapy treatment. She is dedicated to creating this in a unique and individualized manner within each and every therapy session.
Kristyn grew up in Ottawa where, from an early age, she had an affinity for both movement and working with children. She was a competitive gymnast, an avid skier/snowboarder and a general enthusiast of adventure and the outdoors.
After completing her Kinesiology degree she headed to Japan to teach English to local children. This was an enriching experience and also helped in solidifying her growing interest in the field of physiotherapy. By 2008, she had graduated from the University of Alberta with a Master’s degree in Physical Therapy, was living in Vancouver and had found valuable opportunities that allowed her to pursue her passion for pediatrics and neurology. From there, she leapt into the role of being the sole pediatric physiotherapist for the Northern Albertan hospital and surrounding regions of Fort McMurray. Edmonton was the next stop on her journey. Here, she worked for Alberta Health Services providing home care for children with complex needs, worked at the Stollery Children’s Hospital and within the school boards.
Most recently, she has spent four years in pediatric Hematology Oncology at McMaster Children’s Hospital. Being a part of the difficult journey that these families endure in the face of cancer has been, by far, the most challenging but also the most meaningful work of her career.
Kristyn has had a fulfilling career to date and is grateful for the broad range of physiotherapy experiences acquired in pediatrics.
Kristyn has come full circle now, back to beautiful BC, back to family where she looks forward to putting down more permanent roots. She couldn’t be more excited about this opportunity to provide services to the children and teens of Comox Valley and its surrounding communities! She is also looking forward to exploring BC’s vast landscapes and oceans alongside her daughter and husband.
- 2008 Masters of Physiotherapy (University of Alberta)
- 2003 Honors B.A Kinesiology (University of Western Ontario)
Continuing Education Courses
- Acupuncture level 1
- Dynamic Core for Kids 1 & 2 (Shelley Mannell & Julie Wieber)
- Vestibular-Visual Matters (Kim Barthel)
- Basic 2 day Vestibular Rehabilitation course (Bernard Tonks)
Pediatric Neuro-Developmental Treatment (NDT) Courses
- Introduction to the NDT approach (Kim Barthel)
- 4-day Intermediate NDT course(Kim Barthel & Shelley Mannell)
- 1-week Intensive NDT course (Kim Barthel)
- Bobath: Intro Course
- Bobath: Assessment and Treatment of Incomplete Spinal Cord Injured Patients
- Advanced Bobath: Postural Control and Functional recovery of the Upper Limb
General Pediatric Courses
- Sensory Based Movement Disorders (Kim Barthel)
- Self-regulation workshop (Kim Barthel)
- Equinos Deformity
- Cascade bracing workshop
- Level 1 Manual Therapy (Orthopedic physiotherapy division)
- Concussion Management
- Mobilization of the Nervous system (NOI)
- Myofascial & Joint release for shoulder girdle, neck and spine
- KTaping training